Monday, March 17, 2008

Marks

This was the only poem that got a response out of me when I got done reading it. After I read the last line, "Wait 'til they learn I'm dropping out", I was like, "Wow". This woman is really getting sick of her family picking her apart. Yeah, it was nice that her husband gave her an A for her cooking, but the rest of the things her husband, son and daughter say about her are just plain hurtful. And actually, when I read that last line, I was rooting her on, because she doesn't deserve those remarks, and she should try to get away from them.

I also felt like this poem seemed more real than the rest of the poems. These kind of things happen to families all the time. I can't personally relate to this poem, but I have seen movies and read about this same occurance.

I thought it was creative that the author thought of this woman's life as a report card. She related each of the things the woman does for her husband and children and gives her some sort of grade for each.

1 comment:

Erinn said...

Brittany, This is a poem I like, too, even though the characters in it do seem pretty hurtful. I found your response to the last line great. I think Piercy really does want to surprise or shock her readers and that final line seems to do just that.