Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Poems I Found

I found my poems in a book of my roomate's called The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry. The poems I found that I like are

"Well Water" by Randall Jarrell
"Evening Hawk" by Robert Penn Warren
"Hamlen Brook" by Richard Wilbur
"Watermelons" by Charles Simic
"Drops in the Bucket" by Kay Ryan
"Fast Break" by Edward Hirsch


I noticed that most of these poems have to do with things in nature. The first two lines of "Evening Hawk" can help me describe why I enjoy these poems:

From plane of light to plane, wings dipping through
Geometries and orchids that the sunset builds,

Here, I like how Warren is so descriptive when writing about the eagle flying. He makes it easy for his readers to picture in their heads what he is writing about. One of the other poems, "Hamlen Brook", is also very descriptive. An example of this is:

A startled inchling trout
Of spotted near- transparency,
Trawling a shadow soldier than he.
He serves now, darting out

Wilbur is descriptive of this trout. The readers can easily "see" this fish swerving and darting through the water.

1 comment:

Erinn said...

I agree that the poems you have poem are very descriptive, but descriptive in a way that is easy for readers to understand. You might be interested in looking at Kirsten's blog or talking with her today. Although she chose different poems, she is also interested in ones that discuss nature-themed topics.