Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Surprising

I guess I just can't get over the fact that this book, Into Thin Air, is really a memoir. Some of the events that take place and some of the things that happen to the people in this story are crazy, and it almost seems as if this is a made up story. I mean, normally when you read about human excrement laying all around your campsite, it's usually in a fictional story. No one necessarily thinks that mountian climbers go to the bathroom in one big spot in their campsite on the mountain, but really where else would they go? And it is surprising to read about some person in this guy's tour group that fell 2,000 feet into a glacier. It's just sad that things like that really can and do happen but you don't always get to read about them from a man who witnessed it first-hand. When I read this book, I think about how terrible this accident was and how hard it must have been for Jon Krakauer to write about it in such detail. Props to him.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I really agree with you although I'm not reading this book. A lot of things that are non fiction seem like they are fake or atleast the author lied a little about the things that happened. I think thats part of the reason it makes it so hard to say what story is non fiction and what story is fiction.